Monday, March 28, 2011

Essence Black Women in Hollywood Luncheon 2011

AN AFTERNOON OF STARS!!!
I got an email from my Fabulous Publicist, Staci R. Collins Jackson, who said to me "Save this Date on your Calendar" and I said.."Ok,  but Why?"  Staci said "Don't worry...just put it on your Calendar"..I followed instructions and saved the date.  I was excited and nervous.. What did Staci have up her sleeve, I thought.  I put it out of my mind until I got THE CALL!!
Staci R. Collins Jackson (My Publicist!)


Hello?? Hi Staci..how are you??  So what is with all the Secrecy..What are we going to attend??  Are You Serious?? Seriously!! OMGosh!! This is Wonderful!! We are going to the Essence Black Women in Hollywood Luncheon 2011!!!  How Fabulous!!


Staci knew that the Essence Luncheon was one of my dream events!! (Now, receiving the Award is the other! Seriously!!) 


The Question, again..."What The Heck am I going to Wear??"( C'mon.. I gotta tell ya'll the truth!!) Thats what I thought.. then I thought. "What a Wonderful Publicist I have!!" So, I went through my closet, figured out my outfit and pranced my incredibly happy self to an event of Major Proportions!! 


The night before the event, I spoke to a dear friend and niece-like actress named Naturi and told her I was going to the Essence Luncheon on the next day. Naturi said that she was going as well. I offered to drive us both and she accepted.  Yay!! Now I have someone to roll with!!  


Funky Fresh, dressed to impress, ready to party!!( a lil ol' skool fo ya'll)  Naturi and I drove to the Beverly Hills Hotel and attended one of the most Beautiful African American Functions in Hollywood!!  I was whelmed!! We pulled up and valeted, then entered on this Huge Red Carpet out front.. As you enter the Lobby of the Hotel.. you are greeted by Beautiful smiling people, Sofas and Lounge chairs formed in a Circle and a Large Centerpiece of Incredibly Tall, Fragrant Flowers. 


Who is the first person I see...my dear friend Tasha Smith!! Then Vanessa Bell Calloway..then Finally My Publicist!! I squealed with delight when I saw her!! So happy and excited!! Next I ran into Marsha Ambrosius (formerly of Floetry) and we talked for a good minute!! I cast their Album cover and she remembered my style and flow (pun intended) haha


We walked down the hallway to a set of Big Beautiful Old Hollywood Style Spiral Staircase. Above the Staircase hung beautiful photos of the Honorees of the Afternoon. Jennifer Hudson, Angela Bassett, Loretta Devine & Viola Davis!!


The Red Carpet was packed with Celebs and Photographers!! Flashing Lights.. Boris & Nicole Kodjoe, Kimora Lee Simmons, Serena Williams, Anika Noni Rose, Laz Alonso, Jill SCott, Jesse Williams, Tia Mowry, Gina Bythewood, Salim & Mara Akil, Salli Richardson, Akosua Busia, Amy Adams, Forest Whitaker, Tracee Ellis Ross, Gabrielle Union, Brandi Norwood, Kimora Lee Simmons, Tatiana Ali, Cookie Johnson, Lela Rochon, Naturi Naughton, Suzanne DePasse, Jenifer Lewis, Tasha Smith and the list goes on and on!! I even ran into my old boss from Essence Magazine, Mr. Lewis!! He hasn't change a bit!
Mr. Lewis is that You?? 1991 Where did the time Go??


Kimora Lee Simmons.. Another Amazon Sister!!
The event was beautiful.. Flowers everywhere.. Beautiful tables, dim lights and Candles! The Videos of the work of each Honoree edited beautifully. Then Marsha came out to sing "Far Away" and we paid homage  to the beautiful women we lost this year.. Roxanna Floyd, Abbey Lincoln, Vonetta McGee & Lena Horne. We will truly Miss them! 


Our Lunch was delicious. The acceptance speeches from each Honoree was so beautiful and heartfelt.. Some of the Stories we soo personal.. You just had to be there to bare witness to the emotions, honesty and love that these women have for each other, the craft of acting and the integrity to know that there is no competition between them. Just Love and Respect!! 

The Fellowship after the event was AMAZING!! 

Just another day in the Life of Hollywood Casting Diva, Tracy "Twinkie" Byrd!! Haha.. Thank you Staci R. Collins Jackson..You are the Joint!!  Thank you Most High for Another Pinch Me Moment!!



2 comments:

820am said...

you look amazing! how can we reach you regarding a project we have. we'd love to talk with you about it! contact APA? thanks, annette

roger said...

Hollywood gives the chance on performance not black or white.